Gearing Up for Fall Evangelism
Are you excited to spread the Good News of Christ this fall? While the summer has held many adventures, traveling for vacation and basking in the great outdoors, we can all look forward to the wonders of the new season. Before the brilliant colors and joy-filled holidays get here, though, you can gear up for fall evangelism ahead of time! After all, you’ll have countless opportunities to share the Gospel.
To gear up, you’ll need to have a few tools ready at a moment’s notice, like memorized Scripture and sharing inspiration. Thankfully, you can get all of those resources right here.
Let’s take a closer look.
Back to School
“A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might.” — Prov. 24:5
Proverbs is filled with God’s insights on wisdom and knowledge. Both will give you aid in serving God and helping others throughout your whole life. Even so, you should remember that knowledge and wisdom start with God and His Word (Prov. 9:10).
- Hand out Gospels to school classmates inside a holiday or birthday bag.
- Stash Gospels inside a bookbag, purse, or lunch box to hand out during every open door.
- Carry around a pocket Gospel on top of school books to trigger conversations.
- Pray for teachers and friends at lunchtime.
- “Can I show you something neat?”
- “I think I know just what you need.”
- “Here’s why I carry around the Bible.”
- “What can I pray about for you today?”
League Member Shawna from Arizona says, “I teach children's church and we give out welcome bags to new kids. These pocket Gospels of John would be great to put into those bags.”
“When he [Jesus] saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few.’” — Matt. 9:36-37
During this season, farmers who have nurtured their crops all year get to reap their reward. That reward still comes with a lot of work to harvest the crops, and they can’t give up halfway through. God tells you also to work the spiritual fields without giving up (Gal. 6:9; Matt. 13:23). You will see a reward for your labor; just labor and pray.
- Keep a stack of Gospels near your candy jar for Halloween and give them out to trick-or-treaters.
- Throw a harvest party where you present the Gospel.
- Go door to door on Halloween night to give a gift rather than receive one.
- “Thank you for stopping by! Can I give you a gift with the candy?”
- “You don’t have to give us any candy, but can we offer you a gift instead?”
League Member Laurie from Nova Scotia says, “I plan to give these Gospels to our local youth centre. It's a cafe that our youth leaders have set up where the teens from our community can drop in and have a safe place to go. They hold weekly Bible studies, youth group meetings, coffee houses, etc. to reach the lost.
“In July, our church youth is going to Haiti for a missions trip. Several who are going were saved because of this youth centre. Praise God. We have used the pocket Gospels at the centre in the past and find that, because of the cover designs and size, the teens are willing to carry one in their backpacks and read from them publicly.”
“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” — Col. 3:17
Every good thing comes from God in Heaven, from the breath in your lungs to your family and friends to salvation (Ja. 1:17). No matter your circumstances (1 Thess. 5:18), you always have a reason to thank God for His many blessings (Ps. 7:17).
- Put a Gospel next to each place setting for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Bring a gift package to your Thanksgiving host with a Gospel inside.
- Invite a needy family over or give a warm Thanksgiving meal to a homeless person. Include a Gospel of John.
- For even more ideas, check out our previous post, Planning Your Fall Evangelism Outreach.
- “We would like to give you something to thank you for this dinner.”
- “We have plenty of extra food for Thanksgiving. Can we give some to you?”
- “There’s always something to be thankful for. I’m thankful for Jesus. Do you know about Him?”
League Member Hilda from Ohio says, "Since I've become a born again Christian, the Lord has done so many changes in my life and has turned my life around. He is still working on me. I want to share the Gospel with others so that others may come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.”
“And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child. And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them.” — Luke 2:17-18
Christmas celebrates the miraculous birth of Christ! When the shepherds heard that Jesus was born, they hurried to the stable to meet Him. Then, once they saw the baby for themselves, they couldn’t contain their joy and told others about Him (Luke 2:8-20). We should follow their example.
- Wrap each Christmas gift to a non-believer with the Good News inside.
- Hand out Gospels of John to store greeters and bell-ringers.
- Mail out a year-end family newsletter with the Gospel.
- Bring treats to your work’s Christmas party with a stack of Bibles beside it.
- “Do you know the real meaning of Christmas?”
- “God has really worked in my life this year.”
- “I’m going to enjoy opening Christmas gifts! My family also likes to read the Christmas story. Have you heard it before?”
League Member Alex from Pennsylvania says, “I give these Gospels of John to people at drive-thru windows, cash registers when I'm leaving, and people I cross paths with. Most of the time, it's very easy. I just say, ‘here, this is for you’ or ‘I also wanted to give this to you’ and give them a gentle smile and tell them to have a good day.
“With these last 20, I got the most notable person. I handed it to a woman who looked troubled. She was a worker at a fast food restaurant, and she was sitting outside alone and looked sad.
“I gave it to her, walked inside and was going to leave other materials there inside but thought that I wanted to make it personal for the woman that looked sad. So I turned around and walked out of the restaurant and left.
“As I was getting ready to leave, I walked past her and noticed she was sitting along the sidewalk reading it. It touched my heart and I asked God to please draw this woman's heart to Him.”
With God on your side and His Word as your guide, you can readily share Christ through fall evangelism. Remember to prepare with the Gospel too! Order more for these sharing opportunities at ptl.org/share. PTL even has a few new covers to choose from: The Light and Connecting Gospels!